Song Fa Bak Kut Teh

I've mentioned that work's been absolutely crazy, so I was really annoyed when I had to take time out to pop by the society to cast my vote for something that I honestly couldn't care any less about. If not for the $500(!) penalty liable to people who fail to vote without a valid reason, I wouldn't have taken the trouble to go down. I guess that's why they made voting compulsory, very few would vote otherwise. Honestly, I didn't know who was in the running and didn't quite care to know. Even if the society wanted greater participation of members in the vote, I felt they could have held the election over a couple of days. Not everyone was THAT free on THAT ONE particular day to go down to vote. Or else, allow the use of proxies.

Anyway, Mr J and I went down to Song Fa, a bak kut teh place nearby the society. Apparently, The Professor likes to patronise this shop. We each got the Pork Ribs Soup ($6 for small). I liked that they used the long ribs for all of their soups (some places only give you the long ribs if you pay the premium price). The ribs were tender enough, and the soup was sufficiently peppery and rich in pork bone essence, but it didn't exactly blow me away. Still, in comparison to some other bak kut teh places, this was relatively cheap and value-for-money.


Mr J got a portion of the Salted Vegetables ($1.20) which were crunchy and tart. It cut through the richness of the pork rib soup.


I liked the tasty Braised Beancurd Skin ($3.50 for small), with the soy braising sauce seeped well into the slightly chewy and soft skin.




Song Fa Bak Kut Teh
11/17 New Bridge Road
#01-01
Tel: 6533 6128 / 9762 7409
Open Tuesdays to Sundays from 8am to 10.30pm
Website: www.songfa.com.sg/

Comments

Anonymous said…
The Prof has switch allegience to the East Coast hawker centre stall. oink!!!!
Bern said…
Which East Coast hawker centre stall?
Mutusamy said…
I stumbled upon your blog wile searching for Ba Ku teh. Do you happen to have any idea where to get good dry Ba Ku Teh. Most of the places I go the Ba ku teh is very dry.
Bern said…
Hi Mutusamy, I'm not sure what you mean by "dry bak kut teh". Bak kut teh is usually stewed over a long period of time and served in a soup, so it's best that the pork ribs are moist and tender. I haven't encountered bak kut teh that's not served in a soup.

Popular posts from this blog

Janggut Laksa vs 328 Katong Laksa, Queensway Shopping Centre

Gong Yuan Ma La Tang

ABC Brickworks Food Centre