Out of the Pan, Raffles City Shopping Centre

For those of you who think that crepes are strictly for desserts, Out of the Pan aims to change that mindset by serving both savoury and sweet crepes. I've always been tickled by the lack of ingenuity in its name. I mean, Out of the Pan serves food that's literally straight out of a pan. DUH. How else do you get crepes, if not from a pan?

Although I was initially resistant to the idea of savoury crepes because I was so used to eating the sweet version,  I was quickly won over. Come to think of it, eating savoury crepes is no different from eating a Mexican tortilla burrito, Mediterranean pita wrap, or an American wrap sandwich.

I have CC to thank for this recommendation. He brought Mr Harvest-The-Crops and I for lunch at this spot and I've since realised that this really is quite a healthy meal option.  Every crepe is generously filled with A LOT of shredded lettuce and a side of crisp mesclun greens. And you can opt for the sundried tomato or whole wheat crepe instead of the plain version for extra nutrients.

We got 4 crepes to share amongst ourselves. The Grilled Honey Soy Chicken ($15.50) was my favourite.


Succulent chunks of diced chicken smothered in a delightful honey soy concoction, wrapped in a thin light-as-air crepe.


The Peking Duck ($15.50), a house specialty, is a nice Asian influence with its sundried tomato flavoured crepe.


Duck was fresh, not gamey, and the sweet tangy Peking duck sauce complemented, rather than overwhelmed the tender chunks of game meat.


The Norwegian Salmon ($16), on whole wheat, was CC's fave. Maybe it's because I'm really not a fan of smoked salmon, but this was too fishy for my tastebuds.


The side of chutney helped to balance out and cut through the "fishiness" of the salmon with its spicy piquant overtones.


The Fish Masala ($16) was another Asian-influenced crepe.


Despite the heavy masala spice seasoning, I could still taste the fishy element of the (dory?) fish, which I felt was quite unforgivable. It's best to stick to the meat versions of the savoury crepes.


I liked the fact that freshly pressed mint leaves were added to the Mint Lemonade ($5), with freshly squeezed lemons, and a touch of sugar to the Fever Tree soda. This was refreshing and yet not overtly sweet or sour, the way lemonade should be. The drink was obviously a favourite, I saw it on almost every table.




Out of the Pan
252 North Bridge Road
#B1-45
Raffles City Shopping Centre
Tel: 6431 6103
Open Sundays to Thursdays from 10am to 10pm;
Fridays and Saturdays from 10am to 10.30pm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Janggut Laksa vs 328 Katong Laksa, Queensway Shopping Centre

ABC Brickworks Food Centre

Gong Yuan Ma La Tang