Li Bai Mooncakes

I may have ranted about this before, but really, it's become frustratingly difficult to hunt down snow skin lotus paste mooncakes these days. I'm a traditionalist, so like rice dumplings, I like my mooncakes traditional. But wow, has it become near impossible to find lotus paste-flavoured mooncakes, with just about every restaurant trying to out-do the other with new-fangled creations. Aren't these durian/ice-cream/chocolate/alcoholic mooncakes just mooncake-shaped cakes?!

Anyways, we managed to find my favourite snow skin lotus paste mooncakes at the venerable Li Bai, a Cantonese restaurant that's the very bastion of classic traditionalism. Even so, out of the 10 or so mooncake options, there was only one that was of the snow skin lotus paste variant.

These White Lotus Seed Paste Mini Mooncakes with Salted Egg Yolk ($56), dotted with golden raisins, were perfectly nuanced. These mint green babies were so addictively good, I devoured half the box in one sitting.



Li Bai Cantonese Restaurant
39 Scotts Road
Sheraton Towers Singapore Hotel Lower Level (the hotel sometimes calls it the "ground floor" or "level 1" but for the avoidance of doubt, it's actually the basement 1)
Tel: 6839 5623
Open Mondays to Saturdays from 11.30am to 2.30pm for lunch;
Daily from 6.30pm to 10.30pm for dinner;
Sundays from 10.30am to 2.30pm for lunch

Comments

BERNICE said…
Exact sentiments on "mooncake-shaped cakes"! I do enjoy the mini snowskin white lotus seed moon cakes from the Ritz Carlton. Give it go!
Anonymous said…
exactly!! all the sales people give me a funny look when i ask for snow skin lotus paste, no special flavor.. Thanks for hunting this down. Is this better than tai chong kok?
Bern said…
Hello my namesake!! Thanks for the tip!! Now...i just have to brave the Taka Mooncake Fair crowds to get a box of those babies!

@Anon: I've to confess...I haven't tried Tai Chong Kok. But I hear they use a heavier "porky" oil to make their mooncakes, which makes their flavour more pronounced. These Li Bai ones are subtly sweet, I like the balance and nuance here.

Popular posts from this blog

Janggut Laksa vs 328 Katong Laksa, Queensway Shopping Centre

Gong Yuan Ma La Tang

ABC Brickworks Food Centre